Tuesday, September 4, 2018

A letter to my mom

You had it all wrong. You say that my father was a hero to me and had me convinced that he was a horrible person who didn't love me at all. You said, "he didn't leave me. He left you." And I believed you. I believed all the horrible lies you told me. And I chose you. I left his home to move in with you until you changed the locks and kicked me out.

Well, now I know the the truth. When I was on a ventilator, Boca was too far for you to drive and it was too much for YOU to handle. I was facing life totally paralyzed and you walked out on me.

Thank god you contacted my father because he and Rita flew down and had me transferred by ambulance to have emergency neurosurgery. And I may never walk independently again but my dad arranged for someone to come and shower me, cook my meals, has fresh healthy food and vegetables prepared for me and got me an iPad with special software so I can write and communicate. You?

Haven't asked me once how I'm feeling.

Grandma Estelle is 89 years old and comes to EVERY appointment with me.

It took me a long time to see the truth, but I finally see things clearly now.

I don't really blame you. You simply don't know how to love. And you don't know selfless, unconditional love that a parent feels for their child. And that makes me very sad for you.

I pity you. Because I am a wonderful, loving and beautiful child who has accomplished great things, the least of which is my writing and my ability to love UNCONDITIONALLY.

You threw me away. And that's really too bad... for you.


Elyssa D. Durant
Research & Policy Analyst
Columbia University, New York

No comments:

Post a Comment