Thursday, September 6, 2018

Re: And I won’t back down

I'm so proud of you!

On Thu, Sep 6, 2018 at 9:48 AM Elyssa Durant GMAIL <elyssa.durant@gmail.com> wrote:
September 6, 2018

I appreciate the fact that you raised me to have realistic expectations and an internal locus of control.

I'm not sitting here praying to some sky fairy to heal me and I know that how well I come through this depends on me and me alone. I try not to unrealistic expectations because that way I can't be disappointed if they are not met.

The hard thing for me is the variability and inconsistency. I know from my mental health issues that recovery is not linear. That I will have setbacks and and I just need to fight through them.

Yesterday I could walk without my walker. Today I cannot. Optimism isn't my strong suit. I don't know what tomorrow will bring. But I'm glad you taught me very young that anything worth having requires hard work and that you only get out what you put in.

Most things have come easy to me. I did my need to work very hard to excel in school or in sports.

This is uncharted territory for me and very frightening. I'm doing the very best I can to process it all but the way I do that is through my writing.

That way I can look back on the bad days and see how far I've come. I don't feel that I have any safe place to write Anymore with my websites under attack.

But I'll keep trying. I won't give in and I won't give up.


Elyssa D. Durant
Research & Policy Analyst
Columbia University, New York

--
Estelle

No comments:

Post a Comment